The misconception is that to wear high waisted clothing you have to be super skinny with a 6 inch waist, well if that’s the case then nobody would be wearing the nip/tucking trousers.
Curves often look spectacular showcased in clothing such as the high waisted trend, due to the way the fabric can shape the body. Slim figures are usually enhanced by a high waist, creating the illusion of an hourglass silhouette. So there is absolutely no excuses and no figure that can’t rock this major trend.
A high waist can be used for any occasion, whether it is a trip to the beach in some high waisted shorts or an office meeting at work in a pair of tailored, high waisted smarts. Jeans with a high waist are also a must, and you can adapt them to your style and figure by choosing a skinny fit, straight leg or flared look.
Here is a selection of the key high waisted styles available and a few hints on how to wear them correctly.
High Waisted Capri’s
- Capri’s with a high waist will be complimented by a short crop top that reveals a bit of the stomach. Contrast the outfit by wearing nude trousers and a dark coloured top.
- To take the outfit from day to night, add some chunky heeled shoes and a matching belt in a striking colour.
High Waisted Tailored Trousers
- Team up some high waisted black trousers with a plain white fitted shirt and a bold coloured neck tie for a sophisticated office look.
- Take advantage of vertical pinstripe high waist trousers in order to give the appearance of a slim and narrow waist.
- Don’t stick to the plain coloured trousers usually worn for work. Find a pair with some different colours sewn into the material and find a slim fitting shirt to match.
High Waisted Jeans
- High waisted jeans are a classic, so combine some indigo skinnies with a plain white t-short for that Los Angeles look.
- If flares are your choice of jeans with a high waist, add a figure hugging top to flaunt your curves. The lighter the denim, the darker the rest of the outfit should be and vice versa. Bright colours look better with darker denim so bare that in mind when choosing how to personalise this summer trend.
High Waisted Shorts
- Denim shorts with a high waist are complimented by plain, long sleeved tops in a colour compatible with your skin type.
- Shorts and sandals are a classic combination but to make the outfit that little bit different, add a pair of short boots to rough it up.
- Shorts are a sign that summer is definitely here, so bin the leggings, be brave and bare your legs in your high waisted daisy dukes.