September has well and truly brought us autumn with a blustery, sun swept beginning. I have re-instated my winter boots, my mac is being pulled tighter and tighter around myself as shelter and knitwear is beginning to overtake my wardrobe – as it does each and every year.
But as the sun still beams down, the wind blows cold, the outside chills and the inside heating warms – what on earth shall we wear to keep stylish and be practical? Well friends, I can officially tell you it is all about layers.
To be honest, it is every year for most. Layers can be flattering on all shapes and sizes, take full advantage of those comforting and chic knits that are endlessly practical for moving between warm offices, blustery streets, sweltering public transport and our cosy homes.
On The Runways
On the Catwalks, fall 2011 is all about layers, but we’re going a bit edgy with it this year and I’m excited! I’m going to class this trend as feminine rock chic. The idea is simple; mix soft, floaty or sheer fabrics, floral and feminine designs with bold block colours, leather, fur and sharp tailoring. The result is an effortlessly stylish and flattering shape, with a slight sixties feel and endless possibilities to accommodate personal tastes and style.
How To Work It
So with this trend there are a huge variety of styles that can work it well. If you have a more boyish frame, buy a great pair of leather trousers and team with a sheer blouse, fine knit floaty cardigan and wool mix tailored blazer. You can go brogues or loafers on the feet for a more casual flats feel, or jazz it up with a killer pair of shoe boots, preferably in suede.
Pear shapes, try a patterned summer dress – something soft and floaty – and that fantastic peter pan collar that’s very on trend. Then, to add the layered look, cinch in the waist with a leather belt with chunky clasps and add a short leather jacket, thick tights and a huge knitted snood to keep really warm.
Finish with killer heels to elongate the legs further or again, go casual with brogues or loafers. Apple shapes, try this seasons sixties feel with a great shift dress. Go with bright colours please, you’ll look fabulous! Again team with thick tights and show off those pins, I recommend heels here too. To layer it up; a long fine knit cardigan and huge faux fur coat is a must; something vintage looking would be perfect.
So, a few general rules to remember with this look:
- Do keep your soft summer dresses in your autumn wardrobe, they’ll look great layered up with knitwear and tights.
- Tights must be thick. Coloured and patterned pairs will look great to jazz up a neutral outfit. Mix your knits. A wool shift dress, contrasting wool tights, a fine knit floaty cardigan and chunky long woollen scarf are NOT too much all together.
- Mix your fabrics. Contrast sheer, cotton and soft fabrics with wool, leather, fur and denim.
- Layer with accessories. Scarves, snoods, hats, gloves, wrist warmers, ankle warmers and jewellery can add extra dimensions to your outfit.
- Find a great coat. Something large to accommodate all those layers underneath. Capes and vintage furs are perfect.
- Keep your spring jackets this season. Leather and denim jackets can be layered with sleeveless jilets in fur and wool.
- Layer your feet too! Long over the knee, flat leather boots look great with long, soft fabrics on your top half. And wear contrasting ankle socks and tights with shoes and shoe boots.
Whatever shape you are or style you favour, apples, pears and boyish frames and classic tastes to outrageous trends, feminine rock chic layering can feature in your autumn wardrobe and look amazing.